Sunday, March 22, 2009

Why Apple sucks

I recently finished setting up my workspace just the way I want it, a task I've been putting off for far too long. I posted a photo of my workspace to facebook / twitter and eventually it came up that I had no Apple machines in my workspace, and it got me to doing a full concrete analysis of why I have chosen not to use any Apple stuff.

In a nutshell, why Apple annoys me is the way that they treat their users, they tend to pander to the "in-crowd" and try to make the business of getting stuff done with computers into something not massively removed from a big fashionista love-in. Yes, I'm sure if you're a designer / graphical creative type it's a lovely platform to use, but for a coder / sysadmin like myself it's almost a hundred percent superfluous stuff that has been done before and better elsewhere, and to boot they charge you out the nose for the privellege of playing in their walled garden.

I know the standard rebuttal; "It's really not all that much more expensive, here's a configuration apple offers of product X, here's a configuration matching that configuration from vendor Y, see? it's pretty much the same". That's not the way I buy computers, I figure out what I want to do with the computer, and then I figure out what I will need from that computer in terms of hardware.

Example; about two years ago I wanted to get a new laptop that was good for coding / gaming, a MacBook was definitely in the running at the time, but you could not get the specs I wanted without upgrading to a drastically more expensive buildout. I wanted a non-integrated graphics card with a DVD writer, that was about the only thing that stopped me from just getting a flat MacBook, the price of those was indeed quite reasonable at around 1300$ if memory serves vs the 1200$ I ended up spending on an Acer Aspire 5630 with a fast graphics card and a built in dvd burner with more memory / storage than I could've got on the comparable macbook model that I would've had to settle for no burner and an integrated graphics card for. If I wanted to get a Pro model I'd be looking at something in the realm of 2k more.

This is not an acceptable margin between the two systems by any stretch of the imagination, yet it has nothing to do with Apple not being directly competitive with identical configurations in the marketplace, it has more to do with the fact that you may well end up (and I have always ended up) in a situation where Apple doesn't have anything that will meet your criteria without being drastically overinflated with a bunch of stuff you don't need, thus pushing out the basic price mismatch to the level where it's just a ridiculous choice.

Putting aside the price and mindless drone trying to be fashionable with his glossy plastic computer BS, Apple's architectural choices are questionable and seem to follow a fairly well established pattern, who remembers these?

Apple (Pimping OS9): Our architecture is totally awesome, everyone wants to use our excellent operating system without proper protected memory, it forces our coders to be better.

Apple (Years Later): You know what, strike that, we'll just rip out the BSD core and charge people a ridiculously high margin for a pimped out enlightenment clone.

Apple (Pimping PowerPC): Our processors are world beaters, we can spin a benchmark anyway you like in order to prove our CPU's are better than intel.

Apple (Years Later): You know what? strike that, we'll just start using intel because everyone knows it's been faster for ages and we're tired of pushing this lie.

Apple (Pimping the JesusPhone): Our phone is a groundbreaking world beating device that is many years ahead of the competition, if you want something that it can't do, then you're just an idiot.


Years Later: You know what? strike that, you bought our bullshit a couple of years and now we've had time to mostly catch up to the rest of the market, we'll pimp this as a massive leap forward rather than just getting our shit together a few years late and charge people 120$ for early access to the upgrade, if they work for us.

Apple has it's place, there's no doubt about that, those old advertisements I remember reading about it being the computer of choice for the mentally handicapped due to it's ease of use, and because of the semi-sweetheart relationship with Adobe resulting in all of their products being available for the platform, some people that rely on that platform have a good reason for using what they use. And a lot of those people are at the moment capable of switching to Linux, as you have the liberty to do as a more technical type.

But for the small fraction of us who have been using Linux happily since 1.2.13 over ten years ago the growing surprise from people around us when they hear we have no intention of making the switch to Apple's high priced gated community is becoming kind of annoying. I do not and never will care about your platform as a fashion statement and I'm not going to drink the reality distortion field Flavor-Aid, thanks but no thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I've been using Linux happily since 1.2.13, except on laptops where I've alternated between guarded contentment and deep, deep depression. There's nothing more frustrating than spending days fiddling to get your laptop wireless networking or suspend/resume working, only to have it broken again by a system update. This happened to me more times than I can remember.

    That's why I'm extremely happy to have a MacBook Pro laptop. At the OS level the Mac is of course very similar to Linux. I can do my development (mostly Java, Lisp and Python programming) in Emacs running in a screen session on either platform and everything works the same way. I often loose track of whether I my terminal session is running on my mac or linux machines.

    I don't really care about or even pay attention to Apple PR. If it bothers you then that's unfortunate. I think it's worth trying to evaluate the utility of Macs outside the context of the hipster PR and generally clueless salespeople, which I agree can be off-putting. A lot of hackers are switching to Macs today for very good technical reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has happened to me about two or three times in the last two or three years, each time it was using a system with an ATI card, not necessarily a laptop that seemed to do it. I've actually never had problems with suspend or resume, but I don't doubt that they're out there lurking.

    It isn't specifically the PR machine surrounding Apple that aggravates me however, but that tends to drive the way that they behave.

    Case in point, what would you expect to happen when Apple's "hot new thing" gets a lookalike / workalike skin on an older competitor? They're selling the glitz and glamour angle, not the performance and reliability angle. That comes almost as just a side effect of having a tightly controlled hardware platform that you exert dictatorial control over.

    If you pick your hardware from stuff you know from experience works well with Linux you get just as far on the performance and reliability front, it's just when you try weaving in pieces that have poorly coded drivers like fglrx things tend to go wrong.

    That doesn't discount Apple's lead in the "user experience" stakes and probably never will since I'd posit that's 98% of where they focus their energy.

    User Experience for me means something different to what it does to Joe Average though, I want to be able to cut and change and make everything exactly the way it would be if I'd built it from the ground up myself. Yes I'll incorporate ideas from the rest of the world into that, but I want to be the final arbitrator of look and feel within my own user experience. Within this definition the state of the UI on Linux is ideal.

    ReplyDelete